A container can be in horizontal or vertical split mode. I might have changed its "initial default" mode or not (I have one horizontal and one vertical screen), so when I get back to that workspace and screen, I usually don't know which mode is currently active for all my containers there.
Therefore, I have observed myself doing the following steps rather too often:
- I try to open a terminal first to see what would happen,
- close that terminal again,
- possibly change the split mode, and
- only then open the program I want.
If, instead, i3wm were to show me the current "split mode" the container is in, I would not need to check that first by trying to open a terminal to learn the split mode the container is in.
So my questions are:
- Am I doing anything wrong here, maybe?
- If not, how can I get a [visual] indicator of the current container's split mode?