The i3 FAQ has migrated to https://www.reddit.com/r/i3wm/. All content here is read-only.
Ask Your Question
0

Custom layout for Pidgin

asked 2012-07-16 13:57:16 +0000

0x000000 gravatar image

I'm trying to figure out how to make the Pidgin windows into a dock-style thing. Conversation window on the left of a workspace, taking up about 80%. Buddy list on the right taking up the remaining 20%. These are the rules I've come up with, but nothing seems to happen when I launch Pidgin:

for_window [window_role="buddy_list"] focus; resize shrink width 50 ppt
for_window [window_role="conversation"] focus; move absolute left

I should note that the i3 user guide doesn't explicitly say what "absolute" does, but it seems to make another 50/50 layout work for me (or maybe I'm just lucky).

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

3 answers

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
0

answered 2012-08-11 20:38:48 +0000

psvo gravatar image

Following works for me. I have only Pidgin on desktop and only one conversation window with tabs.

for_window [class="^Pidgin$" window_role="^conversation$"] resize grow width 0 px or 30 ppt
edit flag offensive delete link more

Comments

Ahhh thanks, this fixes the size problem, but how can i force the buddy list window to be on the right side?

styx gravatar imagestyx ( 2012-08-20 23:23:44 +0000 )edit

for_window [class="^Pidgin$" window_role="^conversation$"] resize grow width 0 px or 30 ppt; move left I *think* this should work, but I feel like if the conversation window pops up while you're focused on another window, it might move the focused window left instead of the convo window.

0x000000 gravatar image0x000000 ( 2012-08-31 15:42:57 +0000 )edit

for_window [class="^Pidgin$" window_role="^conversation$"] resize grow width 0 px or 30 ppt; move left

0x000000 gravatar image0x000000 ( 2012-08-31 15:42:57 +0000 )edit
0

answered 2012-08-08 00:33:11 +0000

styx gravatar image

Im also very interested in this. Does someone have a solution?

edit flag offensive delete link more
0

answered 2012-07-16 16:09:40 +0000

Michael gravatar image

move absoluteis only for floating windows (and it emits a warning in the logfile, see http://i3wm.org/docs/debugging.html ). In general, there is something fishy going on with for_window and these kinds of commands, but I haven’t looked into it yet.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Comments

Right on, thanks. But is there a way to do what I want to do?

0x000000 gravatar image0x000000 ( 2012-07-31 16:00:19 +0000 )edit

Question Tools

Stats

Asked: 2012-07-16 13:57:16 +0000

Seen: 2,664 times

Last updated: Aug 11 '12